Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lot's of Car Time

875 miles down! What a ride!

Boy, were we in the car a long time ( a little over sixteen hours total). We started driving this morning at 5:00 a.m. All of us were excited and ready for the drive, but as the trip wore on, the excitement wore away. There were some tired, grumpy, hours I must admit. But overall, Mom says we all did pretty good.

Our meals were interesting. For breakfast we pulled over at a Burger King. I had gluten-free coffee cake (thank you Grandma Alice!) and french fries. It was confusing figuring out if every little bit of food e ordered was gluten-free. But, this is a learning experience.

All the scenery was beautiful. Mostly flat farm land land, with some hills. In the morning, we all saw a beautiful sunrise. The sky was so was filled with awesome colors. We also drove through some huge windmill farms with mills all around us. They were much bigger than i thought!

Today we drove through Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. Now we are in North Plate, Nebraska, relaxing in our hotel. Tomorrow we will finish the rest of the rest of the driving to Medicine Bow Lodge (about a five hour drive).

Time for bed! I can't wait for tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. You're making even the hundreds of miles of flat plains seem like a great adventure. I can't wait to read about the Dude Ranch!

    Grandpa John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love driving across America! I've done it several times and each time I enjoy it more than the last time. It's such a beautiful, fascinating country and each state has a "flavor" all its own!
    I hope you have an awesome week Riley. I'm really looking foward to reading all about it!
    Judy (or Mrs. Nilsen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Riley! It sure sounds like you're on your way to a great adventure. Thanks for leaving me with these humans. Tonight they had several families over. I went from lap to lap and got a TON of belly and back rubs. It was great!!!

    Love,
    Sadie :)

    ReplyDelete