Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Flying Down Those Trails!

The pics Dad showed above are of yesterday and today. The top one shows me practicing lassoing a fake bulls head. It's harder than it it looks! But really fun to try.The gray horse is Rock (or Deek), Daddy's horse. At the bottom shows Eva throwing horse shoes. Last night I played a game of shoes with Mr. Kinsolving, Mrs. Kinsolving, and Eva. Mr. Kinsolving and I were on a team, and Eva and Mrs. Kinsolving were on a team. Eva and Mrs. Kinsolving won, 10 to 3. I am not that good at throwing the shoes, but getting better.

The morning ride today was SO fun! Earlier, our wrangler took me alone on a couple loping (which means cantering, the western way) rides, but today he showed all of us how to trot and lope. Eva and Isaac love to trot, but I think they still need to get used to the lope. Mom and Dad like loping better than the trot, because it's smoother (same with me). Boy, were we flying down those trails today!

This afternoon, I was taught to do some pottery. It is really fun! Then Dad took me out to a rope swing in the woods. We had to wear gloves, because the ropes give you splinters. But the swing was great!!

Instead of going on an afternoon ride today, we chose a sunset ride. We will leave after supper, and be gone for a couple hours. The sun has been so pretty every night when it sets, so it will be fun to ride and watch the sun.

It's almost time for supper! I will write more tomorrow.

So far, it's been a great day at Medicine Bow Lodge!

6 comments:

  1. Riley, I love the way you describe your activities out there! It makes us feel like we are there, too.

    There's a big word for that: vicarious. It means experiencing something through the imagination of another.

    When we read, "Boy, were we flying down those trails today!" We could feel and hear the horses, too!

    Keep those pics & descriptions coming.

    Grandpa John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley, I am thoroughly enjoying your blog and can't wait to hear all about your trip when we see you on July 12! Love, "Aunt" Mary Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you are having a great time thatnks for keeping us updated! Email me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    love,
    Baylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley-you are such a great writer! I am really enjoying your blog-the stories and the pictures! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.:-)
    Judy (Mrs. Nilsen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your pictures today. It all seems unreal that you are really there, doing these things. You all look like pros. I am wondering who is more sore? (I know it isn't Riley.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops, sorry. That post was from Grandma T.

    ReplyDelete